Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:38:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Dennis Pesonen" <dennis@pesonen.se>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   clock problem on Ultra80

Hi,

Ever since I installed FreeBSD I have had some strange clock problems.
After installing FreeBSD 5.2.1 from iso files I noticed that doing
traceroutes and pings returned strange results. Sometimes the result was a
negative time and sometimes it was to large to be reasonable. After
changing the kern.timecounter.choice: parameter via sysctl from tick to
counter-timer these problems stopped.

My current problem is that the system clock stops from time to time. This
happes at intervals between 1 day and 2 weeks, but always at the top of
the hour, like 14:00:01. After it stops it just switches between 2
seconds, lika 14:00:01 and 14:00:02. This makes alot of processes hang and
I cant reboot the system without a powercycle
When this happens I have had a look at the time values in sysctl, what I
noticed is that kern.timecounter.ngetmicrotime and
kern.timecounter.ngetnanouptime stops counting up but
kern.timecounter.nbinuptime and kern.timecounter.nmicrouptime: is still
counting.

Im wondering if this might be a hardware falure or if it's some strange
bug. After the reboot the time is accurate again so the actual hardware
clock does not seem to have stopped.

My system is a Ultra80 with 2x450cpu and 1gig ram. I have not CVSupped
since the install.

bash-2.05b# uname -a
FreeBSD Fetast.fetband.net 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Tue Feb
24 07:47:33 GMT 2004
root@bobbi.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  sparc64

Im kinda new to freebsd so if I have left any information out please say
so.

I would be very grateful for any help you can give me.

Kind Regards Dennis Pesonen