Date:      Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:20:21 GMT
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/79659: cvsweb cannot cope with %

The following reply was made to PR www/79659; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ville_Skytt=E4?=" <scop@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:18:24 -0400

 On 10 Apr 2005 at 0:53, Ville Skytt=E4 wrote:

 > On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 06:37 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
 > > Your investigation prompted me to check my local repository which
 > > uses cvsweb-2.0.6.  cvsweb has no problem with that file.  I see that
 > > FreeBSD is using FreeBSD-CVSweb 2.0.6.  It has a problem with that
 > > file.
 > >
 > > This suggests that the problem may not be with cvsweb, but with
 > > something else.  The error message:
 > >
 > > Bad Request
 > > Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
 > >
 > > A grep of the repo projects/cvsweb does not find "Bad Request".  This
 > > also suggests it could be something other than cvsweb that is
 > > displaying this message.
 >
 > Indeed.  As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the markup or
 > the link generated by cvsweb in this case, so upgrading it to a newer
 > version wouldn't help.

 It is valid HTML.

 http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.freebsd.org%2Fcgi%2
 Fcvsweb.cgi%2Fports%2Fdevel%2Fgdb6%2Ffiles%2F&charset=3Dutf-
 8&doctype=3DInline&verbose=3D1

 [also available as http://tinyurl.com/5dbao ]

 > It's probably generated by a broken/misbehaving proxy somewhere in front
 > of that cvsweb instance.  Responses from that URL contain: "X-Cache: HIT
 > from localhost, MISS from www.FreeBSD.org".  Wherever the proxy server
 > announcing itself proudly as "localhost" and producing a HIT is, one
 > might find the problem too.  Anyway, even if it wouldn't be the guilty
 > one, it could be a good idea to configure the proxy software to send a
 > sane hostname...

 Interesting....
 --
 Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/