Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:48:05 -0800
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <darren.pilgrim@bitfreak.org>
To:        "'Francisco Reyes'" <lists@stringsutils.com>, "'Ted Mittelstaedt'" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        'Kristian Vaaf' <vaaf@broadpark.no>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How to convert BIND to TinyDNS?

From: Francisco Reyes
> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
> > Why are you bothering?  TinyDNS isn't the "standard" nameserver that
> > everyone and their dog has been using for time out of mind.  The people
> > that push it seem to like it because it's simpler.

I dislike monoliths, they scare me. ;-)

FWIW, a while back I (with the help of Zak Johnson) wrote awk scripts to
convert between the tinydns-data and BIND8 zonefile formats.  The script
ended up pretty complete for the tinydns-data->BIND8 conversion.  It's
converse didn't get very far; there were some severe sanity issues when
trying to expand BIND syntax into discrete records.

Eventually I got sick of it and just used axfrdns and axfr-get with manual
handling for the relatively few cases wherein standards politics got in the
way of interoperability.