Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2006 20:02:04 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggested addition to 'date'

Bakul Shah wrote:

>>To me it seems more natural to add the few extra lines to date because
>>in my mind it is a natural
>>usage of date and extending date to be able to be used as a filter
>>doesn't hurt existing functionality.
>>

>I may want to prepend a log line with not just a timestamp
>but also other information such as user, group, hostname etc.
>This change may be small but it does not belong in date(1).
>Just as I wouldn't want to extend hostname(1) to be a filter.
>It makes more sense to extend logger(1), not date(1).
>
>Don't mess with my date:-)

Who's messing with date? it acts as before except if you need to
annotate a stream with timestamps..
Now puting it in logger.. THAT is an unintuitive program to make into a
date adding filter.

Date's job is to output the time.. it makes perfect sense to me to allow
it to append the time to a stream as well.
logger's job is to send data to the syslog system, which already date
stamps things.
It is not designed to be a filter but it already takes file input and
outputs to stderr.

I really can't believe the people who are complaining about this.. I
should have just committed it.
Talk about a bikeshed!