Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:27:26 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Nik Clayton <nik@ngo.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: Avoiding bad sectors?

--nextPart1407416.P8Yqx4vqRb

On Sunday 20 August 2006 06:43, Nik Clayton wrote:
> I realise that I need to replace the disk.  However, while I'm waiting
> until I can schedule the downtime, is there a short term solution I can
> use to stop FreeBSD (I'm running current from a couple of months ago)
> from trying to use this block?

Reboot into single user mode so swap is not being used and then try
dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/XXX bs=3D64k

(where XXX is your swapdev)

The disk should remap the sector, if it refuses to write to the sector beca=
use=20
it's out of remappable sectors then you could try splitting your swap into =
2=20
partitions around the dead sector and then using them both (should be no=20
appreciable speed decrease)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum