Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 2006 09:59:22 -0700
From:      Adam Bayless <adam@baylessfamily.org>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   MySQL 5 crashing on 6.0

I've got a brand new dual AMD opteron box with 4gigs total ram running MySQL 5.0.18.
I built MySQL from ports and I'm using /usr/local/share/mysql/my-innodb-heavy-4G.cnf
for my.cnf. The database is accessed by 4 client machines for an sql based
spamassassin bayes database. The bayes tables are all InnoDB. The InnoDB data file is
about 1.1 gigs on disk right now.

MySQL is crashing and dumping a core file approximately every 4-6 hours. When it
crashes mysqld_safe seems to be able to restart it just fine every time, but of
course the innodb data has to be rebuilt from the logs which takes several minutes
and processing mail stops while that happens. I thought initially that it must have
been running into server memory limits, but I cut all of MySQL's internal limits
approximately in half (in my.cnf) and it's still having the same trouble. There
doesn't seem to be a certain query that causes it to crash every time, though when
spamassassin runs a bayes expiration that sometimes seems to trigger the crash, other
times it doesn't, though it always increases MySQL's CPU and memory usage.

I've set the following in /boot/loader.conf:

kern.maxdsiz="3684354560"
kern.dfldsiz="3684354560"
kern.maxssiz="3684354560"

'gdb -c mysqld.core' says:

#0  0x00000000dc9cf81f in ?? ()

which doesn't help me much. Maybe someone else can make some sense of that?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam