Date:      Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:04:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      "S. Greg Cuff" <maillist@brundoggy.com>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error connecting to mysql via php

Hi,

I've searched and searched and am a little numb at this point.

I haven't been able to find a solution to an error I am receiving when
attempting to connect to a remote mysql server with a php script.

Here is the ERROR:
  Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Background:

  Two servers running FreeBSD v6.0 STABLE

  Server1: apache-2.2.0_2, php5-5.1.1, php5-mysql-5.1.1,
           mysql-client-5.0.16
  Server2: mysql-server-5.0.16, mysql-client-5.0.16

What I've tried:

1. Connecting via command line works fine:
   me@server1%  mysql -h server2 -p -u me
   Enter password:

   Your MySQL connection id is 64 to server version: 5.0.16

   mysql>quit;

2. Connecting via php (error above):
   $host='server2';
   $user='me';
   $passwd='mypassword';

   $cn = mysql_connect("$host", "$user", "$passwd");
    if(!$cn)
    {
      die(mysql_error());
    }

I am assuming the reason the /tmp/mysql.sock file doesn't exist on server1
is because mysql is not running on this server.

Thanks in advanced,

  Greg