Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 17:44:02 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@FreeBSD.org>
To:        postgresql-admin@postgresql.org, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Suggestion for a very fast postgresql machine?

Hi!

Do you have any suggestions for building a really fast machine with the
sole purpose of running postgresql for a multi user application? The
database currently has a 11 GB footprint on the disk.

I'm thinking in terms of at least four CPU:s, 12 GB RAM. Hardware is mostly
a matter of money, I guess, and disks are probably the bottleneck, right?
We are currently a FreeBSD only shop, we have very good knowledge about
that system, and no experience with Linux. Still, is FreeBSD 6.1 a good
choice, or will a Linux distribution outperform for 4+ SMP? I won't have
much time to experiment, unfortunately, but I'd love some pointers or tips.

Thanks
Palle