Date:      Sat, 13 May 2006 23:34:06 -0400
From:      bendix <bendix@cfl.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware causing system panic?

I'm having issues with VMWare causing a panic. I can't find any posts in the mailing lists
concerning this so here is my email. My system runs stable except for when I use VMWare.
I've been using VMWare for the past several months without incident. However, since I
updated the VMWare port in the past week, I think it has been causing my system to panic.
VMWare seems to be the only constant thing every time it does panic, so I'm assuming
that is the cause.

While running VMWare I get the following messages in the console:

razor kernel: linux: pid 2065 (vmware): ioctl fd=9, cmd=0x1268 ('',104) is not implemented

Also that is the last entry in the log before the panic.

The only other entries I see in the logs in reference to VMWare is about loading vmmon except for the following:

kernel: vmmon: Vmx86_ReleaseVM: unlocked pages: 195015, unlocked dirtypages: 143294

Which I think is complaining about VMWare not being shutdown properly?

Here is my system info:

# uname -a
FreeBSD razor.chota.org 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #2: Fri May 12 20:40:51 EDT 2006
root@razor.chota.org:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/razor  i386

# ls /var/db/pkg | egrep '(linux_base|vmware)'
drwxr-xr-x    2 root  wheel       512 May 12 21:23 linux_base-8-8.0_14/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root  wheel       512 May 12 21:23 vmware3-3.2.1.2242_13,1/

Any ideas as to what is causing this or how to fix it?
Thanks.