Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:11:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bigby Findrake <bigby@ephemeron.org>
To:        John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/92272 ... comments ?

FYI - I'm not on freebsd-fs, so include me if you want me to see a
response.

We're seeing similar (identical?) behaviour out of 5.4R.  We hadn't been
able to nail down what the catalyst was, only that after we upgraded to 5
(from 4.10) and started using snapshots we started to see weird, but
consistant hangs - weird because on the console virtual terminals could be
switched between, the keyboard lights responded to modifier keys as
one would expect, and network ports could be connected to, but in every
other way the machine seemed to be dead, non-reactive, and non-responsive.

I would be happy to provide any other information I can to help.

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, John Kozubik wrote:

> freebsd-fs,
>
> I submitted this PR today.  I will continue to test and recreate it on
> some other systems - perhaps even on 5.x if I have time.  If anyone here
> has time, perhaps they could also try to reproduce it.
>
> Two items I am curious about:
>
> 1. Has anyone seen this behavior before ?
>
> 2. Any comments as to the likelihood that this is an isolated, specific
> problem (filling a filesystem while creating a snapshot breaks things,
> and when it is fixed it won't) or if this is a more general behavior of a
> larger class of problem with the snapshot/filesystem code ?
>
> That is, will solving this problem only solve this problem, or will other
> problems (discovered and not) be solved ?
>
> Thanks.

  Giving something away is the ultimate subversive act in a society the
   economic system of which is structurally based on greed and egotism.

                    finger://bigby@ephemeron.org
                   http://www.ephemeron.org/~bigby/
                   irc://irc.ephemeron.org/#the_pub