Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:52:50 +0200
From:      <t.blum@home.nl>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 6.3 Raid1 (geom) configuration problem with multiple partitions

Hi there,

I recently switched using FreeBSD on my server (used Linux before). I've a problem with configuring geom as raid1 for my two identical hd's. I started with installing a FreeBSD 6.3 on my ad0 disk. The install uses 1 slice with the default FreeBSD partition table:

ad0s1a (root)
ad0s1b (swap)
ad0s1d (var)
ad0s1e (tmp)
ad0s1f (usr)

Everything is working and at this point I started configuring geom with help of this: http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/.  tutorial (approach1). The following commands worked like a charm (second disk is ad3):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad3 bs=512 count=79
gmirror label -v -n -b round-robin gm0 /dev/ad3
gmirror load fdisk -v -B -I /dev/mirror/gm0
bsdlabel -w -B /dev/mirror/gm0s1
bsdlabel -e /dev/mirror/gm0s1

But when I look at /dev/mirror/ it only created 2 partitions, gm0s1a and gm0s1c so the following commands:

newfs -U /dev/mirror/gm0s1*
mount /dev/mirror/gm0s1* /mnt/*

Will not work for gm0s1d (var) gm0s1e (tmp) and gm0s1f (usr). Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

ps. Please be gentle, i'm just a newbie ;)