Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:20:23 GMT
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/104389: sys/geom/geom_dump.c doesn't encode XML entities

The following reply was made to PR kern/104389; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To: douglas steinwand <dzs-pr@dzs.fx.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:12:56 +0000

 In message <200610132043.k9DKh3lW055022@www.freebsd.org>, douglas steinwand wri
 tes:

 >geom_dump.c should encode XML entities. Attached is a patch.

 I don't like it in two ways.

 I'm not keep on the encoding, and would be inclined to say
 "Don't use such names then", but I can probably be convinced
 that this is actually a good idea if sensible examples are shown.

 The other thing is that in the patch, the _encode_entities()
 function should not have a leading underscore and should
 take arguments:

 	static void
 	encode_entities(struct sbuf *sb, const char *fmt,
 	    const char *str, int len);

 So that usage would not need a randomsized local buffer and
 double enveloping of the call:

 >-	sbuf_printf(sb, "\t  <name>%s</name>\n", pp->name);

 Should be:

 	encode_entities(sb, "\t  <name>%s</name>\n", pp->name, -1);

 (-1 for len means "use strlen")