Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:03:00 +0000
From:      rob_spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   what's the difference between the pentium-4 and the celeron-d?

greetings, all ---

before i start downloading a ton of intel docs on the p4 and the cd,
   i am hoping someone can give me short answers to two questions:

   a]  what is the fundamental difference between them
         [ e. g., is the cd missing some major subsystem of the p4 ]?
       [ i am aware of the cpu clock speed differences and that
           the cd has a slower fsb. ]

   b]  are there any particular docs that i should get [ intel and others ]
         with which i can rtfm to my heart's content or, at least, until i fall asleep?

some background.
----------------

until about ten years ago,
   i was fairly well-versed on motorola's 6800 and 68000 lines.
i stopped paying attention to intel's lines after the 8086
   [ i have always considered segments to be a marketing hack that got in the way ].
the only line with which i remain reasonably knowledgeable is the 68908 family.

my apps.
--------

i am currently running two boxes with fbsd_4.10 on p3/800mhz.
i am about to acquire the parts for 4 to 6 boxes to replace these.
all will get fbsd_6.x.
one will have x installed to serve as my front-end.
one will be dedicated to postgres.
the remainder are tbd, but i want to experiment with different structures of firewall.
i am pretty much settled on intel's 945g chipset, which has everything on board.

with two specific exceptions
   [ a box built around an ati aiw_9600 to replace my vcrs
     [ needs a tbd mobo with an agp slot [ 865pe ] and a fast p4 ],
     a box for streaming audio from non-local radio stations ],
   i tend to be text-oriented and integer-oriented.
because my apps tend to be undemanding,
   i think in terms of simple, inexpensive boxes for dedicated purposes,
   rather than trying to make one box do everything.
i have yet to need more than one cpu/mobo.
i am thinking of getting several different combinations
   so that i can benchmark some memory-intensive test code on each.

sorry to go on at this length; i wanted to be thorough, but i'm sure i forgot something.
thanks in advance.
please cc me as i am not subscribed to this list.

rob spellberg
woodstock, illinois