Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2006 04:10:55 +0200
From:      Daniel Johansson <donnex@donnex.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly

Hello, I recently bought a Promise SATA300 TX4 SATA controller and two
Seagate 320 GB drives. I haven't used the disks very much until today
when I moved a bunch of backups to one of the disks and noticed these
messages in my dmesg.

ad10: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout -
completing request directly
ad10: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout -
completing request directly
ad10: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
request directly
ad10: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
request directly
ad10: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
ad10: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=97160544

The controller is recognized as
atapci0: <Promise PDC40718 SATA300 controller> port
0xc400-0xc47f,0xc000-0xc0ff mem
0xfab00000-0xfab00fff,0xfaa00000-0xfaa1ffff irq 17 at device 12.0 on pci0

Is this something I should worry about?
Anything wrong with my disks or is it the SATA controller?
Bug in freebsd driver maybe?
Is it safe to continue to use the drives, everything seems to be working
fine.

I'm running FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE amd64.

--
Daniel Johansson - <donnex@donnex.net>