Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:11:52 -0800
From:      <soralx@cydem.org>
To:        <cleanphp@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lifebook E8010 - can not use cdrom

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 23:41:17 +0000
CleanPHP Team <cleanphp@gmail.com> wrote:
> > did you try to access it through atapicam layer (i.e, as 'cd0')?
>
> sure
> i added
>
> atapicam_load="YES"
> hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
> hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
>
> to my /boot/loader.conf
>
> dmesg complaints like:
> da0: < > Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> (da0:ata1:0:0:0): Unretryable error
>
> if i try mount /dev/da0 /cdrom , i obtain kernel panic with
(I assume you mean mount_cd9660)

> "atapi_pool called!" message

then I can't help, sorry
better wait for someone who knows anything about ATAPI

I'd try to mess around with PIO/WDMA/UDMA modes as well, and also try
dumping data directly (i.e., `dd if=/dev/[a]cd0 bs=2k` for a data cd),
attempting to read & record (both with cdrecord and burncd) cd and dvd,
enabling verbose output in kernel for ata & SCSI wherever possible,
and, well, facing the panic armed with a kernel debugger. Anything to
get a hint at what's going on. Does it play audio CDs?

Chances are, you have a drive with broken firmware. As a last resort,
I'd try flashing it with compatible firmware. Look through e.g.
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=35842&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
But remember: last resort.

> how to figure it out?
> thanks