Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:42:13 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   looking for a volunteer to test ftp-master with cvsup

I've been putting together a new ftp-master over the last few days after
giving up on trying to salvage the old one.  rsyncd is running,
apparently successfully.

However, I need a tester or two to try the cvsup service.  There is
considerable danger that a misconfiguration at my end may cause the
client side to attempt to delete the entire archive.  I have managed to
delete my test archive during testing!

What I need is for somebody who can watch their system closely to do a
test run.  You will need to abort the cvsup at the first sign of trouble.

To do the test, you'll need to add the '-p 5998' flag to the cvsup
command that you normally use.  (cvsupd is listening on 5998 instead of
the usual port 5999).

Please let me know what happens.  A bunch of SetAttr's would not be
surprising, but I would like to know immediately if any of the following
happens:

* if the files are checked out in the wrong location..  eg:
'FreeBSD/development/CTM' moves to 'develpment/CTM' or vice versa.

* if ALL files are rsync'ed or SetAttr'ed.  The permissions of the
symlinks are different to before so there will be some symlinks being
touched, but I don't expect them all to be touched.

* if symlinks turn into real directories - ie: the space requirements
suddenly get much larger because FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386 -> ... turns
into a duplicate directory instead of a symlink like before.

* if cvsup reports MkNod changes (!!) and/or aborts unexpectedly.  (this
means I botched the scan file generator)

* if cvsup deletes and recreates the same files each time it runs.

* if cvsup hangs repeatably at the end of a transfer

I do expect a large number of files to be created in the Attics of the
FreeBSD-CVS tree.  They were accidently excluded from the old scan file
generator.

The reason I want a careful and limited test is that we lost the old
cvsupd configuration and I'm not sure if I've recreated the
configuration correctly.  Hence the possibility of files moving or the
entire archive being deleted.

The other reason is that ftp-master is using NFS, and we particularly
depend on scan files to avoid having to do a nfs getattr on 1.3+ million
files each time cvsupd runs.  We used to have a perl script that
generated a cache of file attributes so that cvsupd didn't have to do it
over and over again.  We're using a different scan file generator now
that has not been tested in anger, and I'm not 100% certain that it is
set up right (or bug free).   Sorting or attribute problems could cause
bizzare things to happen.

I'd appreciate any news (good or bad), and don't forget to keep the cc:
hubs@.

PS: if cvsup hoses you, you can probably fix it with rsync.
(rsync://ftp-master.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/).  Don't switch to rsync
automatically though, that is really really hard on ftp-master.

-Peter