Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:47:31 +0200
From:      Alexander Konovalenko <kono@kth.se>
To:        freebsd-mozilla@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   gtk file chooser weirdness in linux-firefox

Hi!

For a long time I am experiencing weird problem when trying to choose file
from File->Open_File or when I want to change "download action/helper
application" in the preferences. The problem is that GTK file chooser does
not list all files in the selected directory.

Check it out here: http://daemon.nanophys.kth.se/~kono/buggy_file_chooser.png

 So some GTK library want to convince me that in /usr/X11R6/bin folder there
are only three files? there are 539!

I tried to right-click and activate hidden files in the chooser, tried from
the root account, no luck.

Any suggestions?

This problem I have on both i386 and amd64 platforms with FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.1.

Some time ago linux-Firefox was without this ugly GTK file chooser, is there
any possibility to install/build linux-firefox with another (old) file
chooser? Or it is as hopeless as to decide which linux distribution to
install?

Currently I don't use freebsd natively build firefox because it's unstable.

/Alexander Konovalenko

+46-8-5537-8142 (office)
+46-7-3752-2116
http://daemon.nanophys.kth.se/~kono

Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
Nanostructure Physics Department, Albanova
Roslagstullsbacken 21
10691 Stockholm
Sweden