Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:26:45 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@dwlabs.ca>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-platforms@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New architecture support

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:51:47AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Monday 26 June 2006 09:53, Aditya Godbole wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I have to add support for a new architecture, how do I start? I
> > guess I need to get the build system and 'config' utility in place?
> > How do I go about it?
>
> Well, you'll need a toolchain. :)  Then you can start working on building
> a minimal kernel filling in missing bits in sys/<arch> as you go.
>
> --
> John Baldwin

Hi,

Chiming in very late...

I'm somewhat interested in this as well.  Towards that end would it be
correct for me to believe the process is easier if the architecture
already has a UNIX(tm) style operating system installed and operating and
if there are GNU tools available for this architecture already (assembler,
compiler, linker)?

What I am thinking about is HP's HP 9000 PA-II RISC architecture.  Seems to
me that if the above mentioned tools are available that about 85% of the
work is already done, but then I only have limited experience in this area.

I really like the HP 9000 platform and I would love to see FreeBSD on it.  Used
HP 9000 hardware is quite inexpensive and HP has definitely started using more
"off-the-shelf" hardware these days.

Heh, sorry I guess this belongs more on platforms@ but the thread caught my
attention and I've been thinking about this for a while...

Best Regards,

Duane Whitty