Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:25:40 -0500
From:      Rick Voland <rpvoland@spamcop.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   print/cups-base 1.2.0_2 and locally connected printer

Has anyone tried this new version of CUPS with a locally connected
printer?

I can print fine by ethernet to a nearby printer at
socket://192.168.0.151:9100
but I could not use my long-term configuration for a printer connected
at /dev/lpt0
It doesn't receive anything I send it now even though it is recognized
in dmesg.  Both printers are postscript.  I tried re-creating the
configuration for the local printer using the CUPS webadmin page and
there is no option for a locally connected printer.  I tried manually
entering the location as
parallel://dev/lpt0
and the local printer still cannot receive anything.

$ dmesg | grep lpt
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Polled port

"/usr/local/libexec/cups/backend/parallel failed"

then

"Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lpt0": Permission denied"

---

Thanks,

Rick Voland
rpvoland@spamcop.net