Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2006 19:39:32 -0500
From:      "Frank J. Laszlo" <laszlof@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie creating a port (smilutils) quicktime dependency problem

Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Ok, this is the second time I will try to create a port (first time
> didn't work out because of too many bugs in the source). I have read the
> porters handbook.
>
> Well, I have found a contribution to Kino, smilutils,
>
>   http://www.kinodv.org/article/view/70/1/7
>
> which should be able to handle the smil-file and produce output suitable
> for dvd or viewing.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) How do I specify dependencies on header files. One thing is the -I in
> CPPFLAGS, but I also need to declare a BUILDDEPENDS or something similar?

Is this what you mean?

.if defined(WITH_FOO)
BUILD_DEPENDS+=		${LOCALBASE}/include/foo.h:${PORTSDIR}/devel/foo
.endif

> 2) How do I deal with dependency on libquicktime?
>
> There doesn't seem to be a "without-quicktime" option, that would've
> been nice to get started. The problem seems to be that the quicktime
> port(s) are named differently than on most linux distros.

Most likely the applications configure script with have a
- --enable-quicktime feature, or vise versa to disable it. Heres a little
sniplet that should help.

.if defined(WITH_QUICKTIME)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--enable-quicktime
LIB_DEPENDS+=		quicktime.0:${PORTSDIR}/multimedia/libquicktime
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--disable-quicktime
.endif

> I tried to look at other ports, including ffmpeg but all seem to handle
> this differently. One port try to edit the config script, but maybe
> patches are prefered?

you can either patch it, or use REINPLACE_CMD like this.

post-patch:
	@${REINPLACE_CMD} -e 's|foo|bar|g' ${WRKSRC}/configure

Or something of the sort.

> Any hints or tricks?