Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:22:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      brad miele <bmiele@ipnstock.com>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   setup options for freebsd 6.1 on dl380

Hi,

I am setting up a new dl380 with 6.1, my first attempt at install died
after install from cd and reboot with a couldn't load kernel error. before
i try to figure that one out, i am going to check the drive and bios
parameters via smartstart.

are there any specific options i should set prior to install.

the machine is a dl380 with the following specs and my proposed setup:
rom: P51 10/10/2005
cpu: 2 x Xeon 3.4Ghz
ram: 4G
hdd: 2 x 36G raid 0+1 /root /var /usr swap
      2 x 72G raid 0+1 /var/log
      2 x 300G raid 0+1 /usr/local

in the initial drive setups in freebsd install, it squawked about geometry
on the 300G volume being incorrect/using more likely geometry, which i had
always sort of ignored before. i have two 380s running 5-stable and two
running 4-stable and don't recall any issues with setup.

thanks for any advice.

Brad
Brad Miele
VP Technology