Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:34:09 -0400
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial console configured ... break to DDB still doesn't work ..

so, I'm still missing a step here somewhere ...

First, this is an HP Proliant Server ... I've tried using ssh and telnet to
connect to iLO, and used 'vsp' for the virtual serial port ...

Here's what I have so far ...

kernel is built so that it uses COM2 (0x2F8) as comconsole, and I have the
following in my /boot/loader.conf:

hint.sio.0.flags="0x30"
hint.sio.0.port="0x2F8"
hint.sio.0.irq="3"
console="comconsole vidconsole"
comconsole_speed="115200"
boot_multicons="yes"

Now, I had missed a step from the handbook, and that was to configure my boot
blocks for the change in com port ... or, rather, I added the settings to
/etc/make.conf, 'cd /sys/boot; ...' and installed them, just forgot to do the
bsdlabel ... type'd reboot, slap'd my forehead for not remembering, but,
everything came up as expected ... so, does the hint.sio stuff above override
the requirement to set things in /etc/make.conf and do bsdlabel?  The handbook
instructions seem to be from pre-6.x days as it is, as it still talks about
configuring sio via the kernle config ...

So, I reboot, on my VSP, I get all of the normal device probe stuff that one
would expect, and, thanks to my getty on port ttyd0,I get a login prompt ...
all great.

Now, through telnet to ilo, I do:

^]send break

nadda, doesn't drop me to the debugger ... so, I suspect that ilo is trapping
the break and not passing it to the backend / DDB?

Now, funny thing ... I did do a reset of iLO, which proceeded to drop the
system into DDB ... so, somehow, I have to get iLO to send that break ... ?

I'm double checking with ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER set, to see if I can get *that*
to work ... but, if anyone has any thoughts on this, please, I'm all ears ...
I'm sooooooo close ...

- ----