Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:46:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        kumaresh pandian <kumareshkp@yahoo.co.in>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netpref results on SMP machine

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, kumaresh pandian wrote:

>    I ran the netperf test of TCP_STREAM for 35 hours on a FreeBSD 6.1 SMP
> machin and a FreeBSD Single Processor machine which has the following
> configurations

There have been a number of reports of significantly reduced loopback IP
performance on 6.x as a result of preemption, which can result in context
switch thrashing on some systems.  There has been some amount of discussion of
this problem, in particular at the recent BSDCan developer summit, and there
are tentative plans for a fix.  You might want to try disabling preemption in
your kernel configuration to see what the impact is.  However, as you're not
doing side-by-side comparisons in your tests, it's hard to compare the results
in order to decide what problem may exist.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge