Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:54:55 +0100
From:      Joacim Melin <listor@melin.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   More stupid raid questions

I guess you are pretty tired of me by now, but I hope there is some
patience left out there.

I have the following scenario:

Netra X1, two Seagate Barracuda-drives that both claim to be 80GB in
size. In reality, they differ by 300 megs or so in available size.

/dev/ad0 is the smaller one.
/dev/ad1 is the bigger one.

I install FreeBSD on the smaller drive, do all the gmirror stuff,
copy all contents on /dev/ad0 to /dev/mirror/gm0  (/dev/ad1 inserted
in the raid), edit fstab and loader.conf on both /dev/ad0 and /dev/
mirror/gm0 to point the root directory to /dev/mirror/gm0.

Then I reboot. And suddenly, /dev/ad1 is listed as /dev/ad0 when I do
a gmirror status.

klingklang# gmirrror status
gmirrror: Command not found.
klingklang# su -
klingklang#
klingklang# gmirror list
Geom name: gm0
State: COMPLETE
Components: 1
Balance: round-robin
Slice: 4096
Flags: NONE
GenID: 0
SyncID: 1
ID: 1464945542
Providers:
1. Name: mirror/gm0
    Mediasize: 80026361344 (75G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
Consumers:
1. Name: ad0
    Mediasize: 80026361856 (75G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    State: ACTIVE
    Flags: DIRTY
    GenID: 0
    SyncID: 1
    ID: 2076583338

The original /dev/ad0 is now known as /dev/ad1 and of course, now
it's too small to be added to the raid. Also, note that the size of /
dev/mirror/gm0 and /dev/ad0 in the above list differs.

The easy solution would to simply switch places of the drives, re-
install FreeBSD and then the problem would be solved, but it turns
out it isn't. I've tried that too, and result is still the same for
some reason that I don't understand.

I'm tearing out whatever hair I have left as I've spent an entire
weekend working on solving this.

Thanks for you patience.

Joacim