Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2006 20:07:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Fred Cox <sailorfred@yahoo.com>
To:        Eric Anholt <eric@anholt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd-xll@sentinelchicken.net>
Subject:   Re: X troubles (possibly radeon related)

--- Eric Anholt <eric@anholt.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 12:58 -0700, Fred Cox wrote:
> > Several people have reported problems with X.org
> 6.9
> > and Radeon X300, which were "solved" by going back
> > 6.8.2.  This includes total machine lockup with
> the
> > default vga driver as well as various ati and
> radeon
> > drivers.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any
> visible
> > action on the problem.  I get no response when I
> email
> > the Xorg maintainer.
> >
> > I don't think they want to believe they've broken
> > something.  They want to blame the drivers.
>
> I did respond to your email.  I don't have any
> response from you.

I found this message in Yahoo's (overly agressive)
bulk folder, but nothing else from you.  Could you
resend?

>  Your
> (private, for some unknown reason)

I didn't want to clutter the list if you were working
on it.  If you prefer mailing list contact, I'll try
to remember that.

> message gave a
> line with "vga0" from
> dmesg that's irrelevant to X's behavior, making me
> suspect that you were
> still using the radeon driver in X, not vga as you
> claimed.

I never told FreeBSD to use the Radeon driver, and
since it doesn't mention radeon in dmesg, I assumed
that was what's going on.

For people who aren't as deeply steeped in the code,
can you tell us how to tell which driver is being
used?

>  The radeon
> driver in 6.9 (as with 6.8.2, 6.8.1, 6.8.0, 6.7.0,
> XFree86 4.4, etc.)
> had major issues.  The major issues have changed
> from release to
> release, as fixes were applied for some chipset that
> broke another.
> It's really actually hard to get this memory mapping
> stuff right for
> ATI.  It's quite possible that benh has fixed them
> now in the latest
> releases of the ATI driver -- he's studied the
> problems more in-depth
> than anyone before, so the latest radeon driver is
> probably good when
> combined with a good DRM and good DRI drivers.

Are these required for simple 2D X interactions, such
as fluxbox and Firefox would use?

>  We
> have none of these in
> FreeBSD currently.

Is there any plan to get this stuff fixed?

I am a competent engineer, so given direction, I can
help debug, or give remote access to the machine, but
I have full time job and other claims on my time that
keeps me from digging into it all on my own.

Fred