Date:      Sun, 7 May 2006 01:46:41 +0100
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@mattsnetwork.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg 6.9.0, FreeBSD-6.1 and a Radeon or two

Hi all,
	I suspect this has been done to death. RingTFM and Google, however, seem not
to be my friends at the moment. I have the following R300 cards:

Radeon 9800 non pro, 128 bit bus, eight pipelines, 256MB memory;
Radeon 9700 non pro, used to be a 9500 with four pipes disabled but the
hardware mod (I have SMT rework kit) and a BIOS flash soon put a stop to that
nonsense, now eight pipes, 256bit bus, 128MB memory.

The latter was tried on xorg-6.9.0 (xorg-server from ports with stock dri) and
locked hard before the modification. The same result when modified, although
it did pick up the change of ID from the new BIOS and reported the card as a
9700 with an R300 core in dmesg. The 9800, unsurprisingly, locks hard as
well, but I expected this from others' experiences with the 9800, like the
note on Eric Anholt's homepage.

Incidentally, the modded 9500 has been tested on an evil box (I have to keep
one in the workshop for some things, such as flashing firmware to things and
for my EPROM burner), and works flawlessly with the official catalyst 6.4
drivers, giving me a 3DMark 2001 score of 12000+ and a DroneZmark score of
~190, just in case anyone thinks the card itself is buggy. All eight pipes
work and there are no chequerboard artifacts and ATITool passes my BIOS set
clocks (core underclocked slightly to sync with memory clock) with no
artefacts.

My request is really this: Does anyone have a definitive list of what works
and what doesn't with Radeons i.e. xorg ports, patches etc.? My everyday
boxen use 9200s, so theres no problem there. DRM in the kernel seems to
attach and detect the hardware correctly with the later cards, so I doubt
that is a problem either. With the 9700 on my main AMD64 box, it managed to
play briquolo for a minute and a half before it locked solid (three figure
framerate, too). 2D is never a problem, it just seems like Radeons >9200
still do not support 3D at all, contrary to what I have seen lately on
mailing lists and Google, which seems to point at the 9800 being the card
that hardlocks, with true R300 cores working correctly to a point. Unless, of
course, I'm doing something stupid and the 6.9.0 ports are not the ones to
use. The very fact that it worked at all makes me hopeful it is just a silly
mistake on my part.

Advice? Flames? Anything at all to get the correct information, even if it
means not wasting my time with the R300s until a later date, would be very
much appreciated. If logs are required, I can hook the 9700 back up in this
box and get them, although there was nothing glaringly obvious in dmesg (agp
and drm devices detected and attached correctly, info: [drm] Loading R300
Microcode displayed as X starts) /var/log/Xorg.0.log (no EE lines, the usual
WW R300 code is very beta etc.) or glxinfo | grep -i render (direct
rendering: Yes, OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20041207 AGP 8x TCL and
the usual R300 warn once message).
--
Matt Dawson.

matt@mattsnetwork.co.uk