Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:18:40 -0500
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <lists@wm-access.no>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        Sunnz <sunnzy@gmail.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the best supported Wireless card?

Brett Glass wrote:
> At 10:09 PM 1/3/2007, Sunnz wrote:
> =20
>> I am looking to build a new desktop which is going to have wireless
>> access through my router.
>>
>> I have been using Atheros's chipset with the ath drivers, yes it works=
=2E..

>> But after read this article: http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content=
/view/293

>> I begin to think if there are better vendors out there?
>>
>> From the article it seems that Ralink and Atmel are the most
>> co-operative vendors to open source communities...
>>
>> So how good do you think they are?
>=20
> The best for 802.11b (not g, alas) is undoubtedly the Intersil=20
> Prism 2.5 and kin. This is in large measure because the chipset
> contains a lot of embedded intelligence. The load on the host
> CPU is therefore very light and there's less opportunity for
> coding mistakes in the host driver. And the embedded firmware=20
> is now as about error-free as any wireless code is going to get.
> Atmel's 802.11b chipsets use the Intersil Prism, by the way.
>=20

Doesn't Intersil Prism chipsets require alot of PIO (non-DMA) operations
to communicate and therefore tax the host CPU considerably?
I was to understand the reason the Prism chipsets are considered so
inefficient in comparison to Atheros was the time wasteful interaction.
Perhaps i was under the wrong impression?
--=20
Sten Daniel S=F8rsdal