Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:06:55 +0200
From:      Marcin Simonides <marcin@studio4plus.com>
To:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NDIS: intel 4965 panic

I've tried using an XP ndis wrapper for my intel 4965 wifi adapter.
After loading the driver the device is recognized and then kernel panics
during driver attachement.

I'm using RELENG6 that has been updated a couple of months ago. I'll
probably update it soon and then try again.

This is the most important (AFAIK) information (I had to put this
information down on a piece of paper, so it's not complete, I'll try to
figure out a way to dump ddb output to a file):

First an error from NDIS is printed:
NDIS API version: 5.1
NDIS ERROR: 4000167c (internal error)

then the kernel paniced:

fault code =  supervisor read, page not present

stopped at device_get_softc+0x6 movl 0x48(%eax),%eax

the backtrace shows:
device_get_softc
NdisMAllocateSharedMemory
_end
[...]
NETw4x32_sys_drv_data_start

NETw4x32_sys is the module name.

I've seen in the pr database that there are many similar problems (i.e.
ndis wrapper not working with certain drivers). Should I send a PR
related to this particular wifi card I have?

Is there any more information that I could provide to help the
developers with enabling support for more wifi cards?
(I'll try to take a peek into the driver code but as I've never done any
kernel programming this may yield no useful results).

Thanks for your time :)
--
Marcin Simonides