Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:33:32 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   gjournal 6.X and fs snapshots

Pawel,

it seems that 6.X gjournal (with .deleted/ directory) keeps files for fs
snapshots "forever". I use "dump -L" to create backups of live
filesystems and noticed that after some days dump fails with:
mksnap_ffs: Cannot create /var/.snap/dump_snapshot: No space left on device

I looked into .deleted and see 20 files owned by operator with the same
"huge" size (circa size of the whole fs). So my conclusion was that
those are the snapshot files, so I have 20 active snapshots and so I
have exhausted their limit.

Does this look as a correct understanding ? Is there a way to cleanup
those without a reboot ? Can I simply rm them (without any bad
consequences) ?

--
Andriy Gapon