Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:15:15 +0100
From:      Pegasus Mc cleaft <ken@mthelicon.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC Newer binutils

Hello everyone,

	I was wondering if anyone knows if there is planned an update to the binutils
for the base system planned?

	The reason why I'm asking is (occasionally) I use a later gcc then what comes
with the system to take advantage of the newer opcodes in the Core 2.
Unfortunately the base assembler dosent understand these new opcodes and
things bomb out. I have installed the latest (2.18) version of buntuils and I
can compile at that point. Things just get sorta ickey having two versions of
binutils on the machine and thought it would be much simpler to have an
update to the base.

	I know there are still problems with the later gcc versions (like 4.3) and
can understand why FBSD hasent moved to it yet, but didnt think there was any
harm in updating to the later versions of as, etc..

Ta
Peg