Date:      Fri, 04 Jul 2008 03:32:29 -0700
From:      "Jeff Kelley, DDS" <jakelleydds@sbcglobal.net>
To:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Severe gum disease can instigate joint replacement infections

Greetings from Jeff Kelley, DDS!

Severe Gum Disease Can Instigate Joint Replacement Infections

A thorough dental examination for presence of tooth and gum infection i=
s recommended prior to joint replacement=2E

Periodontal disease is a commonly occurring oral infection of the adult=
 population (80% of adults are affected) destroying the bony support of=
 the teeth=2E This infection slowly progresses over the lifetime of the=
 patient and is often manifested in the advanced stage in the senior po=
pulation=2E

Because of the lack of any discomfort to the patient until total loss o=
f bony support to the teeth, many adults are unaware that they have thi=
s infection=2E However, the bacteria from this bone destroying disease,=
 especially in the more advanced cases, has been attributed to possible=
 infection of joint replacements=2E

Candidates for joint replacements who have not been seen by a dentist i=
n over a year should be considered for a thorough dental evaluation of =
their teeth and gums before surgery=2E Depending on the severity of the=
 infection, treatment of gum infections and tooth abscesses may take fr=
om two weeks to two months before the patient reaches adequate health b=
efore surgery=2E

If you have questions regarding severe gum disease, please call our off=
ice at (817)877-1651 or email us at jakelleydds@sbcglobal=2Enet today=2E

Best Regards,
Jeff Kelley, DDS

P=2ES=2E If you have any friends or family members who you feel could u=
se our services, please don't hesitate to have them call us=2E We'll be=
 sure to take good care of them=2E