Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:06:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        des@des.no
Cc:        freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r185925 - in head/contrib/binutils: bfd gas/config ld/emulparams

In message: <86oczjklk8.fsf@ds4.des.no>
            Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> writes:
: Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > Author: imp
: > Date: Thu Dec 11 08:22:20 2008
: > New Revision: 185925
: >
: > Log:
: >   Push mips support into the tree.
: =

: Just to pick a random mips commit -
: =

: There is something wrong with the mips toolchain.  The build breaks i=
: libpam, while building the static version, which includes all modules=
:

Something is wrong either with the toolchain or with PAM's
assumptions.  I've not tracked it down further than that yet, but I
think the latter.  Let me explain.

: ../modules/pam_deny/libpam_deny.a(pam_deny.o)(.text+0x3c): In functio=
n `pam_sm_open_session':
: /src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_deny/pam_deny.c:80: multiple definition o=
f `pam_sm_open_session'
: ../modules/pam_chroot/libpam_chroot.a(pam_chroot.o)(.text+0x14):/src/=
lib/libpam/modules/pam_chroot/pam_chroot.c:54: first defined here
: [lather, rinse, repeat for every service function in every module]
: =

: The service functions should be static.  The logic PAM uses to determ=
ine
: whether it is building static or shared modules is as follows:
:
: #if defined(__GNUC__) && !defined(__PIC__) && !defined(NO_STATIC_MODU=
LES)

I think the problem here is a confusion between 'static vs dynamic' and=

'pic vs nonpic'.

#ifdef __PIC__
int x;
#else
int y;
#endif

produces a .o with the symbol 'x' always.  That was as far as I had
got on looking into the problem.

Warner