Date:      Sun, 02 Aug 2009 22:09:47 +0200
From:      Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No 8.0-BETA3 for ia64 & powerpc

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2009, at 12:23 PM, Andreas Tobler wrote:
>
>> Hi Marcel,
>>
>> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>
>>> I'm on vacation for the next 10 days and that's right at the time
>>> of BETA3 unfortunately. So there will be no BETA3 for ia64 and
>>> powerpc (unless someone steps up).
>>> Keep the testing going and keep reporting problems. They will all
>>> be addressed in time for 8.0-RC1!!!
>> Is it sufficent to build (kernel & world) and test -CURRENT svn on
>> powerpc?
>
> Yes, definitely. Just make sure to run...
> 	# make delete-old
> 	# make delete-old-libs
> 	# mergemaster -U
>
> ...after the install. That should cleanup some old stuff
> that may prevent good testing.
> BTW: A lot of libraries got their version bumped, so all
> ports/packages need to be rebuilt.

And here I shot myself in the toe.

I did a 'portupgrade -af' afterwards and gtk link stage complained about
  not being able to link libcairo against libz.so.4, which I deleted
with  'make delete-old-libs'. This happened on i386 and also on powerpc.
I helped myself with a temporary sym link.

Well, I might learn to play with the different options from portupgrade.
But doing a 'portupgrade -af' before 'make delete-old-libs' should also
have helped here, right?

Thanks,
Andreas