Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 2009 21:32:52 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aboout setting up a new python

On Jun 6, 2009, at 3:03 PM, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I wanted to build python26, being that my current python is
> python25, and I want
> (suddenly) to develop on this machine for Pyglet (OpenGL for Python)
> and
> pyglet's port installed using py26 ... beyond that, I think I like
> the 2.6
> version of python (I don't like the 3.0 version, and would REALLY
> NOT want to
> install that here).
>
> So, I know there's a set of links to make, to get the 2.6 version to
> work.  I'd
> guessed that maybe thing thing named "python-config" would do that
> for me, but
> there's no man page, and the response from --help is merely the
> usage().  I
> haven't any idea how to use it, not one line.  I can't find anything
> in
> /usr/local/share, either (but I might not be looking in the right
> place anyhow).
> Tried in the doc subdir too.
>
> Could I get a hint how to get my python2.6 up?  BTW, I tried to see
> if maybe
> just installing the python26 port might activate 2.6 for me, but
> when I run
> "python" the prompt tells me that version 2.5.4 is still in control.

To get the symlink for /usr/local/bin/python to point at your python
2.6 binary you can put PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION=python2.6 in to /etc/
make.conf and then install lang/python26, or you can just create the
symlink yourself.  Or you can start the python editor using python2.6
if you want the old symlink to still point at python 2.5

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel