Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:27:58 -0600
From:      "Erich Jenkins, Fuujin Group Ltd" <erich@fuujingroup.com>
To:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   MM-5425CN battery backed ram disk

All:

I've got several brand new battery-backed RAM cards (pciconf below) and
I'd like to use them in a few machines here as a separate ZIL for ZFS
file servers, but I'm having some problems with the drivers. I know
there is no out-of-the-box support in FreeBSD for them, but I do have a
driver that was written for the OpenSolaris project. Anyone interested
in helping port that to FreeBSD? I've tried these in OpenSolaris and
they perform amazingly well (beat SLC NAND SSD's by nearly an order of
magnitude on SATA-2 interface vs the PCI-X/66 interface on these). Since
it's ECC-RAM rather than NAND, there's no wear issues which makes them
particularly appealing for high-traffic file servers.

Card in question:

none3@pci0:6:2:0: class=0x058000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x54251332
rev=0x06 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Micro Memory'
device = 'MM-5425CN PCI 64/66 Memory Module with Battery Backup'
class = memory

I've messed with the driver a bit, but it's a package file, and lacking
the source, I'm not sure I have the chops to port it.

Anyone interested?

--
Erich M. Jenkins
Fuujin Group Limited

"You should never, never doubt what no one is sure about."
-- Gene Wilder