Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:54:50 +0200
From:      Mij <mij@sshguard.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 8 on SR1630HGP

Hello folks,

I bought two SR1630HGP systems from Intel recently. Although I couldn't =
find information
beforehand on FreeBSD compatibility with that hardware, FreeBSD =
8.1-RELEASE appears
to run fine on them, and essentially all features is supported (see =
below).

I took some time to figure out and configure all the hardware available =
onboard. Here I'm
posting the resulting kernel profile. This is for FreeBSD8 amd64.

The kernel config embeds all fundamental drivers, so they must not be =
kldloaded as modules.
Examples in: ada, hw watchdog, ipmi.
Examples out: zfs, lagg.

Notes:
- the NICs are detected in inverted order:
        - NIC2 on chassis =3D em0
        - NIC1 on chassis =3D em1
- hot plugging is supported ("ada")
- IPMI is supported. See sysutils/ipmitool
- hardware watchdog is supported: watchdogd will automatically use the =
hardware timer
- Frequency Scaling is included. Set powerd_enable=3D"YES" in =
/etc/rc.conf and save the planet (90W -> 1W)
- support for device POLLING is included, enable at convenience =
(ifconfig)
- HZ is set to 2000 to accommodate firewalling/traffic shaping while =
being fairly light on the system

Cheers
michele=