Date:      Mon, 23 May 2011 13:55:23 +0400
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@FreeBSD.org>, Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   [RFC] Remove requirement of alignment to track from MBR scheme

--------------enig30AE321BAD0215151CE039B2

Hi,

Since after r221788 many people report about lost of access to their
MBR partitions, i prepared new patch:
=09
	http://people.freebsd.org/~ae/mbr_geometry.diff

It removes from GEOM_PART_MBR constraints to alignment to track.
Now it is possible to create MBR partitions with exactly specified
start offset and size, and they will not be recalculated by kernel.

Also the patch adds new option "-g" to the gpart(8) utility. This
option can be specified for "add" and "resize" subcommands.
gpart(8) uses information about provider's "geometry" and does
partition alignment how it did before for MBR.

With these changes we give to users the choice how align their
partitions and also we still able to use some "broken" partition
tables.

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov