Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2011 01:39:00 +0100
From:      Pawel Tyll <ptyll@nitronet.pl>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>, Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>, <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>,  <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Panic] Dummynet/IPFW related recurring crash.

Hi guys, lists,

It's me, the bi-weekly panic guy. Guess what, it crashed today. As an
act of desperation I disabled the pipe dumping script after previous
crash, which today turned out to be merely a coincidence and didn't
prevent panics. (I thought it to be a longshot anyway, but it was the
only change I could associate with beginning of this). The only fix I
could come up with, that's very wrong on so many levels, is...

30 1 * * 7 /sbin/shutdown -r +210m "Scheduled weekly reboot."

:(

...but it solves it all: panics, inability to dump (which leads to
freeze and requires manual intervention to bring system back up). Oh
well.

Since nobody came up with any interest in having this properly
investigated, then I suppose I'm the only one that uses dummynet for
some larger-scale traffic shaping - maybe that's my mistake? What
others are using? Other tools, Linux, proprietary traffic shapers? I
really have trouble writing another sentence in a way that won't make
me look like an arrogant schmuck that feels entitled to free support,
so I'll stop here. Any more ideas/hints what to do next/pointers how
to debug this properly are of course still welcome.