Date:      Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:16:32 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Well supported wireless card for Lenovo T520

On 6/17/11 11:44 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I'm looking for a Half-height mini-PCIe card that works well with
> 8-stable. Any suggestions? My laptop has a RealTek card and I MIGHT be
> able to use ndis, but I'd prefer one that just worked.
>
> Any suggestions?

You might want to make sure that your laptop will accept a different
wireless adapter.  I tried to replace the Broadcom WIFI adapter in an HP
netbook and the system refused to POST with an Atheros WIFI adapter.
Apparently the BIOS would check the PCI ID of the adapter and only
booted if it was the Broadcom adapter.  (The message it output during
POST actually said "restore valid WIFI nic" or some such.)  I resorted
to using ndis(4) (though it looks like the Linux equivalent of bwn(4)
supports my adapter now, so maybe someday I'll get to use bwn(4)).

--
John Baldwin