Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:20:47 -0500
From:      Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best $1000 Freebsd laptop?

I bought a laptop that has an unsupported video card, so now it is my
"windows laptop".  I am thinking of getting another to be my "freebsd
laptop", so I want to make sure it really works with FreebSD.  I could
probably spend <$1000 (USD) on one.  I like the look of the Lenovos
but I am unfamiliar with all the different models, and have never
bought anything from their webstore.  I normally buy from Dell or
Amazon, and I never buy used or refurbished (unless its a car!).

My main requirements are having long battery life, opengl graphics,
vtx suppoort (virtualization).  A decent drive (500+GB) and ram (6GB+)
would be nice.  I can't believe ZFS needs 6GB+ ram, and I am not sure
I would want to get a lot of ram, just so I could use ZFS.  On the
other hand, I read that UFS is getting old.  I would rather use RAM
for running virtual machines.

I'm scared to death of getting another machine that has an unsupported
video card (like nvidia optimus), or no VTX.  I want a long lasting
machine that I can travel with, take to work, and not be limited by.
My windows laptop is an i3 with VTX, and is a little under-powered, so
I am thinking of an i5+.  I don't do a lot of number-crunching, but I
don't want it to be slow, either.

Any suggestions?