Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:29:32 +0100
From:      Gabor PALI <pgj@FreeBSD.org>
To:        haskell@haskell.org, haskell-cafe@haskell.org,  haskell-platform@projects.haskell.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Haskell] Announce: The Haskell Platform 2011.4

Hello there,

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Don Stewart <dons00@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're pleased to announce the release of the Haskell Platform: a
> single, standard Haskell distribution for everyone.
>
> Download the Haskell Platform 2011.4.0.0:
>
> =A0 =A0http://haskell.org/platform/
>
> The specification, along with installers (including Windows, Apple and
> Unix installers for a full Haskell environment) are available.
>
> The Haskell Platform is a single, standard Haskell distribution for
> every system, in the form of a blessed library and tool suite for
> Haskell distilled from the thousands of libraries on Hackage, along with
> installers for a wide variety of systems. It saves developers work
> picking and choosing the best Haskell libraries and tools to use for a
> task.
>
> When you install the Haskell Platform, you get the latest stable
> compiler, an expanded set of core libraries, additional development
> tools, and cabal-install =96 so you can download anything else you need
> from Hackage.
>
> What you get is specified here:
>
> =A0 =A0http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/contents.html

For your information, it is available for FreeBSD as well.  Though
note that the corresponding ports can be only found at our GitHub
repository for now:

  https://github.com/freebsd-haskell/freebsd-haskell/

In order to use the ports from this repository, you will have to
install and configure portshaker(8).  For further details, see the
README file in the repository.

After merging the ports trees, Haskell Platform can be installed by
the following command:

   # cd /usr/ports/devel/hs-haskell-platform/ && make install clean

or  updated in the conventional way, e.g. by portmaster(8) (together
with other Haskell ports):

  # portmaster -r ghc

They are published this way, because the FreeBSD Ports Collection is
only partially thawed (large-scale changes, like updating core Haskell
packages or GHC, are still not allowed) due to the on-going release
cycle for FreeBSD 9.0.

On behalf of the FreeBSD Haskell Team,
Gabor