Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:42:46 -0500
From:      George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org>
To:        vendors@freebsd.org

Howdy,

Now that we have achieved a reasonable critical mass on the mailing list =
I wanted to send out
this initial welcome letter and get a couple of things moving forwards.  =
At the end of this message I'm
going to re-attach my notes from the last meeting, because some of the =
people on the list were
unable to attend the meeting and therefore were not in my original =
addressee list.

One thing I'd like to get started on is to try and pick 2 or 3 of the =
top items off the "wants"
list from the last meeting and try to figure it if we can get them =
finished before our next=20
meeting, at BSDCan, in May of 2012.

I also will start contacting people who volunteered to bring stuff back, =
off list, in the next
week or so to see how that is going and what they might need.

=46rom the list of wants I would suggest that the following be our 2-3 =
targets for May:

Optimized bzero from NetBSD
Infiniband Integration and Hardware in the Testlab
VMDK Support

The reason behind these is that I think they're achievable and they're =
spread over
the various areas in the notes.  I'd love it if we could get more of the =
things in the list
done by May, and I also think that others need to chime in on this so we =
can get
this stuff moving along.

Best,
George

NOTES

As you remember the meeting was broken up into 3 sections, excluding the =
tutorials.  We tried
to cover what people wanted to see in FreeBSD in upcoming releases, as =
well as listing code
and systems that could be given back to the community.  The third =
section was our discussion
of HyperVisors with the presentation given by the folks from Microsoft =
leading that discussion
off.  Below you will find three lists which represent the wants, give =
backs and things required
to do a good job with hypervisors.  I have made up my own list of the =
give backs and will
be contacting people who signed up to that list, out of band, to try to =
coordinate getting
that work back to the community.

Wants
-----

Appliance Features
	Lights Out
	Remote Debug
	Power Management
	Thermal Management
	RAID Monitoring
	Environment Monitoring
	Suitable versions of mail and DNS
Driver and Chipsets
	MFI, MPS, 5720
	MIPS64
	EFI Booting
	Intel Server Chipset Support
Embedded
	Need Smaller Kernel
	Embedded Flash FS
	ports cross build
	Release as !root
	More MIPS Testing
	OpenWRT on MIPS
	Proper Debug and Profiling on MIPS
Filesystems
	ZFSD
	ZFS Performance
	NFS Performance
	Dynamic Growth UFS
Networking
	Infiniband Integration and Hardware in the Testlab
	Sockets in multiple VNETS
	VNETS and jails more independent
	netisr
	RSS API
	QLogic/Emulex CNA
	802.11N
	TCP Quick Start
	CongesgMon (lstewart)
	AltQ Mmer
	Net Protocol Updates
	FIB/RIB IPv6
	iptables + IPv6
	More protocol stack hooks
Packaging and Build Changes
	Reusable sysinstall upgrade
	FreeBSD Upgrade
Scaling and Performance
	Multicore SMP
	NUMA Vimage
	More NUMA
	Core Aware Scheduling
	Latest CPU Features
	HPC Features
	512G+ Scalability
	Optimized bzero from NetBSD
	VNET Scalability
	GPU Support
	CPU Queueing
	PCI Hot Plug
	HPZ800 Support
	Shared System Memory
Tools
	GPLv3 Tools
	External Toolchain Support
	GDB Support
	Continued DTrace Support
	valgrind
	Google Perf Tools
	lldb
Virtualization
	VMWare Efficiences
	VxNet  Support
	VMDK Support

Contributions
-------------

I have incuded names or freebsd.org emails where I had them for this =
list.  I am also
tracking this separately and will begin to ask people for things =
directly in the coming
weeks.

gif improvements                          | rrs                   |
security moduleMon                        | rrs                   |
MIPS work [Cavium]                        | rrs                   |
rtld enhancements                         | Doug A                |
libraries hints                           | Doug A                |
Driver/OS Updates                         | Doug A                |
graid SATA/NQQ                            | Matt or Mav           |
Xen/VMWare                                | Tom G                 |
Multipathing                              | mav                   |
Drivers ATA,SCSI,RAID                     | Xin Li                |
ZFS Improvments                           | Xin Li                |
SES                                       | Josh P.               |
BHive->Head                               | Peter Grehan          |
PCI Errors                                | Peter G.              |
Kernel text segment write protect         | Peter G.              |
Per CPU Interrupt Stack                   | Peter G.              |
GDB Server Multithread                    | Peter G.              |
VMDQ                                      | rstone@               |
disk firmware                             | current@              |
enhanced memtest                          | bz@                   |
winbond watchdog                          | bz@/Xin Li            |
rasum system error                        | emaste                |
netdump                                   | gnn, Atillio, rwatson |
in kernel fast packet path (BSDCan paper) | emaste                |
Kexec                                     | John G. (Isilon)      |
NFS 4.1                                   | John G.               |
OFED                                      | John G.               |
CAM Multipath                             | gibbs@                |
Dom 0 64 Bit                              | gibbs@                |
802.11n                                   | adrian@               |
MIPS 24K pmc                              | adrian@               |
ARM v6/v7                                 | raj@                  |
Applied Micro                             | raj@                  |
FreeScale                                 | raj@                  |
NAND Flash File System                    | raj@                  |
cypto accel                               | raj@                  |
FUSE                                      | gnn@                  |

Virtualization

These items came out of our discussion of virtualization.

Paravirtualization vs. HVM
Cloud Tools
What about OpenStack?
Time Keeping (patch by Alexander Motin)