Date:      Sat, 02 Jul 2011 17:12:54 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        danfe@FreeBSD.org, x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: x11/nvidia-driver incompatible with portmaster?

On 07/02/2011 14:42, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Are x11-server/x11-server and x11/nvidia-driver together incompatible
> with portmaster?
>
> If you install x11-server/xorg-server, and then install
> x11/nvidia-driver, then "pkg_delete -f" and reinstall xorg-server, then
> it seems to me that x11/nvidia-driver will be broken, because
> xorg-server will overwrite lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libgl.*, and
> nvidia-driver also writes these files.
>
> I know that x11/nvidia-driver restores the libgl.* files when it is
> deinstalled. But it is portmaster's use of "pkg_delete -f" that concerns
> me.

This is a known problem, and has nothing to do with portmaster. If you
deinstall nvidia-driver first it restores the xorg-server files to the
prior state. If you do xorg-server first, doing the install of
nvidia-driver with -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER (without deinstalling first)
should do the trick.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go