Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dru Lavigne <dru.lavigne@att.net>
To:        Petrus <petrus4@tpg.com.au>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for advice

> Hello,=0A> I'm currently planning on taking the BSD Association=0A> certi=
fication, as described here.=A0 (http://www.bsdcertification.org/)=0A>; =0A>=
 Although I am primarily doing so for personal, rather than=0A> economic re=
asons, I did want to ask whether or not it=0A> possibly *would* add to a re=
sume, in the opinions of people=0A> here.=A0 As much as I've loved using Fr=
eeBSD myself, I've=0A> been looking for trend and market share numbers on t=
he Web=0A> recently, and what I've found has been fairly depressing;=0A> th=
e indication usually seems to be a gradual, long term=0A> decline of the th=
ree major BSDs, with virtually all UNIX=0A> market share moving in the dire=
ction of Debian Linux.=A0=0A> With that said, I've also noticed that FreeBS=
D is still=0A> visible on Netcraft's list of the most reliable ISPs.=0A> =
=0A> I consider this tragic, because after close to 15 years of=0A> at leas=
t intermittent use of both systems, I have developed=0A> a belief that Free=
BSD is vastly technically superior to any=0A> form of Linux that I have use=
d, including Debian.=0A> =0A> So I wanted to ask; how possible is it still,=
 to become=0A> gainfully employed as a BSD administrator?=A0 Once I have=0A=
> the BSD certification, will it be necessary to concede to=0A> reality, an=
d also seek certification in Linux as well?=A0=0A> I have long considered t=
hat idea, but the problem is that=0A> Linux training generally costs a mini=
mum of $2,000, and I do=0A> not have that type of money available.=0A=0A=0A=
Disclaimer: I'm the current chair of the BSD certification group (BSDCG).=
=0A=0AThe BSDCG gets requests quite often from employers who are looking fo=
r admins with BSD skills. We refer them to our BSDA certified linked in gro=
up as its members are all BSDA certified. There is also a linkedin group fo=
r those interested in BSD certification which is a good resource for networ=
king with other admins who are interested in BSD.=0A=0AWe have also receive=
d several reports back from certificants indicating that the reason why the=
y were hired over someone else was because they were BSDA certified.=0A=0AI=
 wrote an article for the February issue of BSD Mag (available for free dow=
nload from bsdmag.org) that describes why one would want to be BSD certifie=
d, even if not motivated by economic reasons or even if one is already happ=
ily employed.=0A=0ABottom line, if you're interested in system administrati=
on, the more Unix-like skills that you can get, the better. A Linux certifi=
cation will only provide a subset of these skills. Having both Linux and BS=
D certification provides a fuller skillset.=0A=0ACheers,=0A=0ADru=0A