Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2012 07:12:59 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, Garrett Cooper <gcooper@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PR conf/121064 -- [patch] sys/boot/forth -- Use ASCII characters for box/line characters in frames.4th

Appears to be no objections.

As I move forward with reviewed/tested commit, would like to document what =
I tested (for posterity):

1. boot_serial=3D" "
2. boot_serial=3D"abc"
3. boot_serial=3D"YES"

All produce the new serial-compatible frames.

4. console=3D"comconsole"
5. console=3D"vidconsole comconsole"
6. console=3D"   vidconsole   comconsole2   comconsole   "

Also produce the new serial-compatible frames.

7. console=3D"vidconsole comconsole2"
8. console=3D"spinconsole"
9. console=3D"vidconsole"
10. boot_serial=3D""
11. boot_multicons=3D""

Produce the old serial UN-friendly frames (as expected)

12. boot_multicons=3D"1"
13. boot_multicons=3D"YES"

Both of which produce serial friendly frames.

In-addition, I also unit-tested the "contains?" function for several hours,=
 making sure it works as-expected.
--=20
Devin

On Dec 7, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Devin Teske wrote:

> Hi -arch,
>=20
> Eitan brought PR conf/121064 to my attention.
>=20
> This particular PR appears to be ~5 years old and addresses an ~10 year o=
ld issue introduced by SVN r115410
>=20
> Below is the commit message and patch that I'm proposing to commit for th=
is PR (also, I amended said patch to the PR audit trail; see conf/121064).
>=20
> I asked gcooper to review the working/tested patch.
>=20
> Here's a before/after shot (courtesy of jh) -- against 9.0-R:
>=20
> http://twitpic.com/bjxfcz
>=20
> Please let me know if you have any objections, feature-requests, nagging =
feelings, etc.
> --=20
> Cheers,
> Devin
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D
>=20
> Use ASCII characters for box/line characters in frames.4th
>=20
> Committed with changes to support the following from loader.conf(5):
> + console=3D"vidconsole comconsole" (not just console=3D"comconsole")
> + boot_serial=3D"anything" (not just boot_serial=3D"YES")
> + boot_multicons=3D"anything" (unsupported in originally-submitted patch)
>=20
> PR:             conf/121064
> Submitted by:   koitsu
> Reviewed by:    gcooper, adrian (co-mentor) [pending your review]
> Approved by:    adrian (co-mentor) [pending your approval]
> Obtained from:
> MFC after:
> Security:
> --This line, and those below, will be ignored--
>> Description of fields to fill in above:                     76 columns -=
-|
>> PR:            If a GNATS PR is affected by the change.
>> Submitted by:  If someone else sent in the change.
>> Reviewed by:   If someone else reviewed your modification.
>> Approved by:   If you needed approval for this commit.
>> Obtained from: If the change is from a third party.
>> MFC after:     N [day[s]|week[s]|month[s]].  Request a reminder email.
>> Security:      Vulnerability reference (one per line) or description.
>> Empty fields above will be automatically removed.
>=20
> M    forth/support.4th
> M    forth/frames.4th
>=20
> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confident=
ial. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message =
and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any =
manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be awa=
re that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and rev=
iew by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.