Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 01:55:11 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dreamplug and eSATA problems

On 11/22/12 20:04, Ian Lepore wrote:
> It'll be a while before I can get back to this and start tracking down
> the point at which the problem went away in -current.  If you want a
> quick workaround for now, the attached patch will set the data cache to
> writethrough (the performance hit isn't as bad as you'd think).

Thank you! This appears to work fine; I've built several ports including
Perl, and they appear to work. Usually if a machine can build ports,
it's got fairly solid hardware.

As to a performance hit, I'm not really informed enough about the arm
architecture to notice. This is the first I've been able to really use
this box, so I'm considering that enough for now.

Fairly soon I will be doing some network performance tests between the
two network interfaces, so maybe the performance issue will show up when
that test happens.

How new is your DP? I understand the hardware has changed again; I may
need to get another one of these so I'm curious when that change occurred?
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

A man who was handsome, intelligent, and elegant, was asked
who he was.  "I am the Devil", he replied. "But that cannot
be," said the questioner, "for the Devil is evil and ugly!"
"My friend," was the reply, "you have been listening to my
detractors."