Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:24:37 +0000
From:      ASSETscope <bindu@ei-india.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   ASSETscope Newsletter August, 2012

   [Aug12_image1.jpg]
   Educational Initiatives E-Newsletter August 2012 [1]www.ei-india.com

     Welcome to the 83rd issue of our newsletter! Each month we try to
      bring you a wide range of information and give you a glimpse of
   interesting practices in the field. Some of you have been kind enough
   to send us feedback. We would like more of you to come forth and share
    your views and suggestions to make the ASSETScope experience a more
      wholesome one. Looking forward to hearing from many more of you!

                             [2]Teacher's Bite

   [Aug12_image2.jpg]
   Mrs. Dr. T. Sudha,
   Principal, Delhi Public School, Secunderabad / Nacharam

   "There are many updates in each facet of life and we must ensure that
   the teacher can never go without adequate updates in the subject which
                she gains only during in- service training."

    "Teachers many a time, stay isolated and do not discuss the problem
    they face in teaching. Discussing issues with other teachers who may
             offer workable solutions would help every person."

                      [3]Assessments - the tablet way

   Where the new age students are using tablets for fun, games and music,
   there are some iconic schools that are gearing up to using these very
   tablets to assess their students. With this innovative assessment tool
   - Detailed Assessment (DA), over 80 schools across the country will be
   able to conduct year round assessment using technology interventions
   like computers, mobile phones and tablets.

                          [4]Can We Learn Better?

   We have no tests to assess the depth of learning; no marks for the
   creative use of learning. If our teaching methods are poor then our
   testing methods are no better. So how can we impart good quality
   education? A few generations of students have passed through our
   school system. The problem has long been recognized but we have not
   been able to solve it.

                                 [5]Events

                      [6]My experience with Duke TIP

                           [7][Aug12_image5.jpg]

   My experience with Duke TIP has been incredible and I deeply miss all
    the friends I made there. I thoroughly enjoyed the program and wish
    that Duke TIP had a similar program for eighth graders too! Through
   the Duke TIP 2012 program, I was able to meet, for the first time, so
              many academically talented outstanding students.
     This program is excellent and I would recommend this program to my
                            junior schoolmates.

   ASSET Champion Awards
   [Aug12_image3.jpg]
   The Toppers of ASSET 2011 from GEAR Innovative International School,
   Bangalore were awarded with Medals, certificates and prizes.
   Earthian - a Sustainability Program for Schools and Colleges
   [Aug12_image4.jpg]   The program intends to act as a catalyst for
   fostering excellence in sustainability thinking and doing amongst
   young people and deeply engage with a set of schools and colleges in
   making sustainability a core educational concern. The schools and
   colleges are identified based on written submissions by teams of
   students, coordinated by a faculty. The institutions also receive a
   financial award.

This issue contains

     [8]Thoughtful Story

     [9]Book Review

     [10]Mindspark Hindi Centre

     [11]Ask an Expert

   [Mar11_image07.jpg] Educational Initiatives Pvt. Ltd.
   302-613, J. B. Towers, Opp. Doordarshan, Drive-In Road, Ahmedabad -
   380054 Phone: 91-079-40269696
   Fax: 91-079-26841400 Email: [12]info@ei-india.com Website:
   [13]http://www.ei-india.com/
     We would like to receive your feedback on the contents of ASSETScope
   and the activities of EI. Please send your comments / opinions /
   suggestions to [14]assetscope@ei-india.com or to our above mentioned
   postal address.This is a platform meant for you and it would be great
   to exchange ideas with you. [15]Remove me from this list

   [tracker.php?emailid=201208_chat@freebsd.org]