Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2012 21:52:18 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Ken Smith <kensmith@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: please add auditdistd user/group to -stable and the 9.1-release?

On Dec 3, 2012, at 12:46 AM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Or mtree could just use -w instead in Makefile.inc1 and distribute.
>>> Let me do some investigation to determine whether or not this is a
>>> valid solution to this problem.
>>
>>    I've done some digging in the source tree and this seems like a
>> potentially workable solution for the issue reported -- in part
>> because auditdistd is only present in BSD.var.dist, /etc/rc.d/var runs
>> BSD.var.dist at boot, etc:

A more robust -- and possibly simpler -- solution might be to
include the uid/gid in the mtree file as well and provide a
way for mtree to fall back to using that if the uname/gname can't
be looked up.

This will probably require adding some switches to choose the
appropriate behavior from among the following:

 * If both are specified, prefer the name.  This is what tar always does:
tries to use the name and falls back to using the number if the name
isn't available.

 * If both are specified, prefer the number.  This would be helpful if
you were running mtree in a cross-build situation where the host
system has radically different user/group numbering (Robert
mentioned someday cross-building from non-FreeBSD hosts).

 * Require both to match.  This would complain if the name/number in
the mtree file didn't both exactly match the current host.  This
would be the useful behavior when using mtree files to verify
files on disk.  This is likely the most appropriate default
behavior.

Tim