Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2012 07:51:41 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        desktop@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   What about improving the desktop ports consistency: task 1, the fonts

--pP0ycGQONqsnqIMP

Hi,

Ok let see how many people are on that list and let's make it alive.

As a reminder this list is made to help improving the desktop experience, and
help PC-BSD people to ease their life while creating their pbi out of our
desktop application.

Not sure that what I call task 1 will be really be useful for them but anyway,
let's try it.

I recently import x11-fonts/croscorefonts into the ports tree, while reviewing
that port, I discover that their is about no consistency at all about the way
fonts are installed, and about no real documentation about it.

I have seen that some ports use INSTALLS_* from bsd.xorg.mk, some others do the
mkfontscale first and directly package the fonts.scale fonts.* stuff in the
package.

What about cleaning that up to have a single way to package the fonts?
Can someone descibe (on a wiki page?) how the fonts should be installed, what it
is the role of fontconfig/mkfontscale/mkfontdir, how our version of xorg do use
it (do we still need that FontPath thing?, if no then the pkg-message asking
people to fill it should be dropped)

while writting/discussing about that: just remember when we are speaking of
packaging (binary) that every script execution post/pre installation is evil and
should be avoided as much as possible, so if it is not absolutely necessary to
run mkfontscale/mkfontdir in @exec then we should just package the fonts.* files
into the package.

If you are not willing to write the page, I'll do, but I need someone describing
me how things are working together in the font world.

The wiki page should be linked into the
http://wiki.freebsd.org/DesktopIntegration page, and once it is cleaned would be
nice to push it the porters handbook, but that is another storry.

regards,
Bapt

--pP0ycGQONqsnqIMP

--pP0ycGQONqsnqIMP--