Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2012 03:31:47 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>, freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org, Harm Weites <harm@weites.com>
Subject:   Re: TP-Link wr1043nd out of swap space
References:  <1341745590.2740.17.camel@manbearpig.dynamic.weites.net> <201207081805.33574.bschmidt@freebsd.org> <1341841445.2540.10.camel@manbearpig.dynamic.weites.net> <CAOfEmZhPeEiiwUfn=5dt=vnkARV6551r%2BR_pSZrU4=07NiA8ow@mail.gmail.com> <1341849727.2540.11.camel@manbearpig.dynamic.weites.net> <CAOfEmZjLbqD941=wg7ReruhgY4u%2Bu0R7KkeDexFMUVQVssKdCQ@mail.gmail.com> <1342195983.2336.35.camel@manbearpig.dynamic.weites.net> <4B538596-937B-46F3-AF8F-17F34BE0C92D@bsdimp.com>

Hi,

I would really appreciate it if people (read; not me) would be able to
do the digging needed to get to the bottom of user/kernel memory
usage.

I really need to focus on just the net80211/wifi stack side of things.
I'm going to focus on getting the ath(4) memory usage down over the
next few months so it remains feasible to run on 32MB platforms, as
those still ship. But I can't keep the rest of the kernel and userland
in check.

Thanks,

Adrian

On 13 July 2012 09:45, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Harm Weites wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the firmware posted on Adrian's google projects page works ok (which is
>> from last December), it even says 10+M free memory. I've flashed my unit
>> with a (old) kernel/world from r230847, it leaves ~5M mem available. The
>> biggest difference between both is probably my inclusion of gif/pf
>> devices, and leaving out the WITNESS/INVARIANTS stuff. Though that
>> should probably not make such a huge difference.
>>
>> I've tried updating my tree to some revisions later, but at r233000 I'm
>> left with ~4M available. There are some nice fixes in various places
>> after that revision, so I'm eager to get something higher to work. And
>> it would be nice to pin-point the cause of the error :)
>
> It has been my experience that if you want to run general purpose things =
on a device,  you need at least 8M[*] of ram free after boot with the daemo=
ns running.  Any less than that, and it becomes very hard to cope with fluc=
tuations in load and usage.  You'll likely need to go looking for things to=
 trim, I'm sorry to say.

> Warner
>
> [*] I've run certain special purpose machines closer to the edge, but the=
 load on them didn't vary much at all, and they had a very constrained set =
of tasks they had to accomplish.  And this was back in the 4.x time frame, =
and dynamic memory in the kernel is somewhat more vigorous these days.